Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Bag Are (Sort Of) Packed, I'm (Almost) Ready To Go...

 BUT, I am leaving on a jet plane. Tomorrow, in fact.  Surprising how quickly the time passes!  A month ago I was speculating at how I would spend the time before leaving without totally combusting from excitement and now here I am the day before I leave and I am about to combust from stress.


Okay, so that was an exaggeration.  See, there I am calmly packing and pretty close to being done.  There are just odds and ends up finish up, which in my opinion is always the worst.  It's always something you buried deep in your suitcase that you realize you need just hours before you leave.  Hopefully that won't happen!

At this time on Friday I will be in Frankfurt, taking in the sights during my 20-hour layover.  I bet you're thinking, "Wow, 20 hour layover? That sounds brutal." Yes, yes it does.  Or so I thought until I got in contact with some nice people from CouchSurfing who offered to show me around their city, invited me to a concert and offered to put me up for a few hours on their couch for some shut eye before my 7.45am flight on Saturday.  For those who just read that and thought to themselves, "What is this CouchSurfing and how do you get a piece of furniture to float?" let me enlighten you.  

Nope, that's not what I mean. 

  Couchsurfing.org is a network of travelers who live all around the globe.  They have various meet ups (some cities have them weekly), cultural exchanges and of course they are a way to find a host willing to give a weary traveler somewhere to sleep in exchange for some pleasant conversation.  My roommates and I hosted a couple people in Binghamton last summer, but this will be the first time I am actually doing the surfing myself.  Pretty excited to jump in and I'm sure I'll be mentioning the network a lot more over the next few months!

  So ANYWAY, in the wee hours of Saturday morning I will fly from Frankfurt to Skopje, Macedonia.  There I will leap into the waiting arms of Igballe, my dear friend who I met during my study abroad in Austria.  I am excited to discover the Balkans a bit (with an expert guide, no less!) and am really excited for this weather:

Cus goodness knows I love me some hot weather! :)

No seriously, I'm not joking.  I love really hot, sunny weather.  Strange how I am from Binghamton, huh?  Well anyway, I am going to soak up as much Summer as I can because when I move to Kiel in a couple weeks, this is what is in store for me:


Not the most appetizing Summer weather, but its nothing I haven't dealt with before.  I am looking forward to going to Schleswig-Holstein though.  I am been in further contact with the school I'll be working at, and it is making me even more excited!  It is hard for me to even imagine that part of my trip though, since there are so many logistical elements I need to prepare for and be thinking about the in immediate few days.  For now I will try to take it one day at a time and enjoy where I am and whoever I am with.  Right now that happens to be my family, who are having a Goodbye BBQ for me tonight! :) 

See ya on the flip side (of the ocean!),
Chelsea 



No comments:

Post a Comment