Friday, April 6, 2012

Networking, Networking, Networking.


Well I am finally back in Kiel after a whirlwind past few weeks.  This post will specifically cover the week from March 18-22, when I was in Berlin for our big Fulbright conference.  The conference was a gathering of all the Teaching Assistants (such as myself), student researchers, professors and journalists who are receiving grants here in Germany.  The Fulbright program also welcomed people who have received grants for other countries, so people from Italy, Norway, Slovakia and a bunch of other places were there as well.

I spent the night of Saturday the 17th in Hamburg and took a train the next morning with the Hamburg Fulbrighters, who I went to Turkey with in October, to Berlin.  We had all had pretty long nights and the 4 hour train ride didn't really help much to stave off the fatigue.  Finally we arrived at Alexanderplatz in former East Berlin and checked into our hotel, the very nice Park Inn, the expenses of which were completely covered by Fulbright. Score!

Directly after checking in and dropping off my stuff, I was off on one of the Fulbright arranged tours.  I opted for visiting the Pergamon, where a lot of ancient Greek and Babylonian artifacts (or at least their replicas) are displayed.  A tour guide was on hand for us and though he was very knowledgeable and extremely, extremely thorough with his histories and explinations, the tour went over an hour longer than the scheduled two hours and we only made it to three rooms!

Our enthusiastic tour guide talking about the Pergamon Alter.

Recreation of a Greek market... I think. This was when I really started to space out.

Recreated ancient Babylonian gate.
Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral)

Right after I had to rush back to the hotel to freshen up and great ready for the welcome speakers and our first of many networking opportunities.  This dining experience was nice, though lacked a bit of networking as we seemed to sort of just hang out with people we already knew.  Give us a break, we were too tired to mingle!

non-mingling

The next day was bright and sunny was we headed to Haus der Kulturen der Welt which was a gift to Germany from the US in 1957.  

Alexanderplatz and the TV Tower from my and Erika's hotel window

There we listened to speakers emphasizing networking and praising us for being so incredibly smart and awesome.  


There were also grantees studying music who preformed in between the speakers.

After we had lunch by the Spree and did some sightseeing around Berlin.  First we mosied over to the Reichstag, which was by the Haus der Kulturen der Welt.  After lying on the grass and enjoying the sunshine a bit, a large group of us made our way over to the Brandenburg Gate to get the must-have tourist photo. 

Lunching by the Spree

Oh hey, that's me.








Oh... there I am again!

And this is where Michael Jackson dangled his baby out a window.

After parting ways with some of the group, the rest of us went to the Holocaust Memorial.  The symbolism of the monument is very moving, but it is unfortunate that a lot of people simply see it as a giant playground of sorts.  We were able to appreciate the space without interruption thankfully. You can read more about it HERE, since I'm way too tired right now to type it all out.


Susi

Me

Wes




We slowly made our way back to the hotel, with a stop at Dunkin Donuts (frosted, creme filled donut anyone?!) and got ourselves ready for the next Fulbright obligation. But I forgot what it was... so I won't explain anymore about it.  It was probably a long long list of speakers emphasizing networking and using people, and involving lots of wine/beer.

The walk back to the hotel along Unter den Linden.

The next morning some of us decided to go to the East Side Gallery, which is a big section of the Berlin Wall which is still standing and is decorated by different artists. It was one of the few things in Berlin I hadn't seen yet, so I was excited to check it out.  Now I'd have to say I give it two thumbs up!




Me, Jessica, Keriin and Ariel












We left our marks too.



After that I broke off and met up with my friend Richard who I studied with in Graz and is now living in Berlin.  It was great nice to catch up after so long, but after getting some coffee and walking around a bit he had to head off to work. 

That night we attended a "music gala" where more of the grantees studying music preformed their talents.  I was very impressed by all the musicians, but goodness it was hard to keep my eyes open, even with only half the week finished. 

The next day was filled with more speakers, including a panel discussion with all the teaching assistants, which I found very interesting.  During one of the breaks everyone made a mad dash to a near-by burrito shop, as I think it's safe to say all the Americans in Germany have been craving good Tex-Mex.  

Even our resident Mexican approved!


That evening Fulbright threw a big final evening party, complete with lots of alcohol and great danceable music.  The next morning after breakfast, we all checked out of the hotel and had some free time before getting the train.  I was able to meet up with Richard one more time for coffee and he gave me a sampling of his tour he likes to give when he has guests visit (very informative, let me tell you!)

Reunited!

One thing you learn on the Richard Riley Tour: this is where Angela Merkel lives... right across from the Pergamon Museum.

Afterward I met back up with the Kiel/Neumünster girls and we took the four hour train ride back home.  Exhausted, but happy and proud to call ourselves Fulbrighters. ;)

Some more exhausted than others... *coughARIELcough*


Until Next Time,
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment