Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Walk in the Woods & Heiliger Abend

As you might recall from my last post, my boyfriend Matthias and I spent Christmas this year at his parent's house in western Germany.  When I left off we had arrived in their village outside Aachen and later had visited the Aachen Christmas market.

The next day (the 24th) was what Germans call Heiliger Abend (literally, the Holy Evening), and though not technically called "Christmas", is the evening for going to church, having dinner with family and opening presents from Baby Jesus.  Yes, there is no Santa Claus.  Der Christkind (literally, the Christ Child) brings presents for all the good little girls and boys on the evening of the 24th.  Take my advice, and don't think too hard about it.

In the morning however, the weather had broken exceptionally nicely and Matthias and I decided to take a walk around his neighborhood and into the woods outside of town.





















Only a few hours later, the rain clouds returned and we were happy to once again be cozy and dry inside.  With fireplace and candles lighted, the atmosphere turned festive and the presents were unwrapped.  A delicious dinner was served and the wine was poured.










Though of course I missed my family back home in New York, I can't think of a better way to have spent the holiday abroad.  Matthias's family were (as always) very welcoming and the epitome of great hosts.  On the 25th they even braved the winds and rain to show me the area, including Belgium, the boarder of which literally cuts their village in half! But that will have to wait...

Until Next Time,
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment